Sunday, October 14, 2012

Day 9 and 10- Walking after the Spirit-Thank God through Jesus-part. 1

Rom 7: 24-25
O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Paul had serious struggles. Sometimes we look at the disciples and think they were somehow superhuman to be able to withstand the persecution they underwent. To live through torture and mocking haveing people turn against them, how can anyone live through it?
I think as an American I am so spoiled to the reality of being a Christian in this world. I have freedom of religion. I don't have to worship in secret with the threat of getting discovered at any moment. I don't have to worry about getting arrested, tortured or killed.
What does this have to do with Paul's statement above?...
It makes me wonder why I struggle so much in my spiritual walk when I do not have to face the problems and persecution that other Christians do.
The flesh is the answer. I think the reason why we Americans are so complacent in their worship and service to God is because we are so comfortable in this country. We really don't know what it is like to really be poor and hungry. We complain about minor things when people right now are being tortured and killed for serving Jesus.
I am talking about an having attitude and reality check here.
When the flesh gets comfortable then it is easy to be lulled into a place of complacency. It's a scary place to be because it sneaks up on you and before you know it you are just stuck in a routine. God is on the backburner and we just go through the motions. Being lukewarm is an awful thing.
I don't want to find out that my Chritianity was not real, but instead a means of making myself feel comfortable. Reality check.
We need to re-evaluate our motives and make certain we understand what it means to take up the cross daily. Dying to self is the goal of a Christian so that Christ lives through us. What does that look like in this busy hectic life we have created for ourselves? How large of a roll does God play in our day to day routines? How often do we Seek first the Kingdom rather than seeking first our comfort?

How do we combat complacency?
Through more of Jesus in our lives. Submitting the flesh to Jesus and steping out to do more for Him.
I am talking about witnessing primarily. I have occaisionally been able to  witness at work but I have to be honest that I don't when I am out and about in my everyday. I am not purposeful in my witnessing. I have a whole appartment building that I have not reached out to. I very rarely witness at the grocery store.
We on the spiritual battlegrounds everyday but we don't see it if we are too comfortable.
Look around Linda, so many souls that need the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment